Sunday, March 2, 2008

Beatlesque #1

It's been a long time since I posted anything--I deeply apologize to all my fan out there. (Hi Mom!) (Just kidding--not even my own mom reads my blog.) Anyhoo, my sweet-potato-pie wife Missy has been blogging me to shame, so I'm going to try doing this more often.

As many of you know, I have a radio show on KRUU LP, 100.1 FM in Fairfield, Iowa, on Thur nights, 9 to 11 PM Central. (If you have high-speed internet & live outside of Fairfield, you can listen to the show live online. You need iTunes or a similar program, such as Winamp.)

Often, each of my shows has one or more themes, & for the next few wks' shows, I'll be playing songs that are Beatlesque. (Even though most sites use the word "Beatlesque", it seems that the spelling should be "Beatles-esque", or at least "Beatle-esque", for that is how it's pronounced. Then again, my spelling skills are extra-ordinary.)

On Thur Mar 6, I'll be playing the following set of songs. (The links below are to the songs in iTunes unless stated otherwise. Thanks to my friend Steve Scholz for all his suggestions & his Emitt Rhodes CD, and thanks to my friend Ben DeJean for his Rutles CD.)

Also (as usual) from 10 to 10:30 PM Central, I'll be playing a set of comedy built on one or more themes--& the comedy theme for Thur Mar 6 is (wait for it) The Beatles! Sketch, standup, & songs featuring Saturday Night Live, The Simpsons, National Lampoon, The Rutles, Steven Wright, Father Guido Sarducci, and KPUT.

Incidentally, if you don't know the tragic story of Badfinger, you should read about it. Their connection with The Beatles was huge (all 4 Beatles--incl John who suggested "Glass Onion" for their band name--plus Mal Evans, Neil Aspinall, & Geoff Emerick). Badfinger declared bankruptcy, & 2 of the 4 members (arguably the 2 main members--kinda like John & Paul) eventually committed suicide by hanging--almost a decade apart from each other.

Enjoy!

1. No Matter What - Badfinger Amazon.com (not available in iTunes)
2.
I'd Like That - XTC Amazon.com (not available in iTunes)
3.
With My Face On The Floor - Emitt Rhodes Amazon.com (not available in iTunes)
4.
Sowing The Seeds Of Love - Tears For Fears
5.
Same Rain - Sam Phillips
6.
Wonderwall - Oasis
7.
Yolanda Hayes - Fountains Of Wayne
8.
Magic - Pilot
9. Now We're Getting Somewhere - Crowded House
10.
Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon - Queen
11.
Strawberryfire - The Apples In Stereo
12.
The Loving - XTC
13.
Is That Love - Squeeze
14.
Somebody Made For Me - Emitt Rhodes Amazon.com (not available in iTunes)
15.
Into Your Arms - The Lemonheads
16.
Come With Me - Zwan
17.
I've Been Waiting - Matthew Sweet
18.
Signposts - Sam Phillips
19.
Day After Day - Badfinger Amazon.com (not available in iTunes)
20.
Saltwater - Julian Lennon
21.
Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra
22.
I'll Be There For You - The Rembrandts


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Glen,

You're welcome for the ER cd. Looks like a great selection of tracks. Congrats on the episode!

BTW, I did a search for "Magic" by Pilot on iTunes and found a collection of 70's hits re-recorded. Oh man....you gotta check it out. At least one other Beatlesque tune is re-done there. Yowch!

Steve